[Freeswitch-users] Caller-ID variables and another Caller-ID question

Avi Marcus avi at avimarcus.net
Sat Jan 26 19:42:07 MSK 2013

> The next question is about the outgoing Caller-ID Name.  From the SIP
>> trace, I see the name is set both in the "From:" line and the
>> "Remote-Party-ID:" line, in quotes ("").  However, the name does not appear
>> on the caller-ID box of the POTS line.  It seems the phone company (AT&T)
>> is getting the name from a CNAM lookup.  Is this something I can change, or
>> is it just not sent in the path between Flowroute and AT&T?
>>
> If the phone company is doing a CNAM lookup then there's not really
> anything you can do, unless they have a reason that they're doing a CNAM
> lookup instead of using the caller_id_name information. I'd ask Flowroute
> for feedback on that one.

Just to comment on this:
The norm in the USA is when calls hit the POTS network, there is no name
attached. The receiving carrier needs to do a CNAM lookup.
In that case, to have the name show up properly, you need to register the
CNAM name.

The exception is: some carriers have direct connections and they skip the
POTS system, so they can use the actual SIP Name, as sent.

-Avi