[Freeswitch-users] High Availability Cluster Module for FreeSWITCH

Michael Collins msc at freeswitch.org
Wed Feb 13 00:18:24 MSK 2013

> If there was a readily available resource agent for FS it is "easy" to
> setup Corosync (if you know hat you are doing). I didn't setup
> Corosync to handle FS, I have OpenSIPS as SBC before FS which handles
> HA. Of course it is not ideal, as in case of a problem current calls
> are lost.

Which is precisely the point - this is *HIGH* availability we're talking
about, not "kinda quickly recovering from a problem but it's okay to lose
the calls that were in progress as long as our VoIP comes back up within
5-10 seconds."

We're talking about the Holy Grail of VoIP here - a fault-tolerant cluster
of VoIP servers that can keep calls up and running even if the primary
server goes down. Note that "primary server goes down" includes literally
hundreds of scenarios from physical (power, network cable unplugged, HDD
crash, etc.) to logical (user misconfiguration of FreeSWITCH or LAN
settings, router/firewall changes, service provider goofups, FreeSWITCH
core dump, a single sofia profile locked up but other FS is okay, etc.)
I'll bet Eliot can name dozens of them off the top of his head. ;)

I have a sneaking suspicion that not everyone in this thread is thinking
the same thing when we say "HA". Eliot's proposed solution encompasses
fault scenarios that some of us haven't even dreamed of. I am open to
someone getting P + C to do everything that Eliot's mod_ha_cluster can do
but I suspect it isn't realistic. If you can prove me wrong on that then
please by all means do so.

-MC

--
Michael S Collins