[Freeswitch-users] best way to receive FAXs

Karl Schmidt karl at xtronics.com
Fri Aug 2 22:42:32 MSD 2013

Back in 1990's I started using a fax receiving programs (originally I found several solutions on
Windoze that were terrible).  When I moved our server to Linux (2000) I discovered hylafax. With
hylasfax and a particular modem all has worked flawlessly for years. In the process I learned way
more about fax than I ever wanted to.

Now as I set up this freeswitch system, I see I can use t38modem as an end point.  So my question is
has anyone been down this road with t38modem and hylafax?  Or should I just use a FAX service? Do
these services work reliably with ALL the machines out there? (I'm doubtful)

FAX should soon disappear - but we still have customers in other countries that send in the
occasional fax. The issue is that different fax machines from different times have buggy software
that makes receiving faxes reliably a can of worms. What I have works, but I would like to get rid
of the POTS phone-line.

Karl Schmidt                                  EMail Karl at xtronics.com
Transtronics, Inc.                              WEB http://secure.transtronics.com
3209 West 9th Street                             Ph (785) 841-3089
Lawrence, KS 66049                              FAX (785) 841-0434

Life does not consist mainly, or even largely, of facts and
happenings. It consists mainly of the storm of thought that is
forever flowing through one's head.--Mark Twain