[Freeswitch-users] Multicast on Freeswitch

Tim St. Pierre fs-list at communicatefreely.net
Sat Oct 13 05:23:22 MSD 2012

Hi Alkesei,

The expression part of the extension is a regular expression that will
match against the number dialed to see if this extension should be run.
I think there is a good bit about regular expressions on the wiki. What
you have below will match if some either dials pagegroup or dials 7243.
This part has nothing to do with paging, it just defines the number to
dial to get there.

What you are really interested in is the esf_page_group application. You
are missing the data attribute which tells the application what to do.
There can be up to four arguments in the data section. The first is the
multicast address, the second is the audio port, the third is the
control port (required by some devices), and the fourth is the time to
live. This defaults at 1, but if you need to route these packets, you
would have to increase the TTL. The last two arguments are optional.

ie.

<action application="esf_page_group" data="224.168.168.1 10000 6061 3"/>

Will send an audio stream to 224.168.168.1:10000 with control on 6061
and a TTL of 3.

This will let you transmit. You need some mechanism to receive the
multicast audio from a radio. I read about someone writing a module that
would let you use playback with an RTP stream. If you can pipe the rtp
stream into a conference room, you can have multiple channels listening
to the audio.

You can change the expression to grab part of the number dialed and use
that in the destination. For example, you could map the last digit or
two of the number to the last octet of the IP address so that you can
address a whole range of channels with a single extension block in your
dialplan.

I'm very interested in this idea - what are you using for hardware? How
do you control PTT? Does the radio interface have some voice detection
functionality, or is it transmitting any time there is a stream?

Let me know how you make out. If you need help writing the dialplan, CC
your response to tim AT communicate freely DOT net

-Tim