[Freeswitch-users] mod_sms delivery failure

Lucas Fontes lxfontes at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 02:28:57 MSK 2012

Hi Chad,
thanks for that awesome ESL binding for node.js !

Section 7 of rfc3428

> A UAS that receives a MESSAGE request processes it following the
>    rules of SIP [1].
>
>    A UAS receiving a MESSAGE request SHOULD respond with a final
>    response immediately.  Note, however, that the UAS is not obliged to
>    display the message to the user either before or after responding
>    with a 200 OK.  That is, a 200 OK response does not necessarily mean
>    the user has read the message.
>
>    A 2xx response to a MESSAGE request MUST NOT contain a body.  A UAS
>    MUST NOT insert a Contact header field into a 2xx response.
>
>    A UAS which is, in fact, a message relay, storing the message and
>    forwarding it later on, or forwarding it into a non-SIP domain,
>    SHOULD return a 202 (Accepted) [5] response indicating that the
>    message was accepted, but end to end delivery has not been
>    guaranteed.
>
>    A 4xx or 5xx response indicates that the message was not delivered
>    successfully.  A 6xx response means it was delivered successfully,
>    but refused.

At Fongo (fongo.com) we have a few proxies for store and forward, also for SMS integration. We use 200, 402, 404 and 488 to control delivery and payments.
So in our case, the final device always returns 200 (as it is the final), but a proxy in between might generate a 4xx.
we have an opensips cluster in front of freeswitch and steer MESSAGE methods away from freeswitch to handle those scenarios. I'm  looking into removing this logic from opensips and move it to freeswitch to keep it consistent with dialplan and rating engine.

cheers
--
lucas