[Freeswitch-users] How to update a live system with very little downtime (How does 'make current' work?)

Mitch Capper mitch.capper at gmail.com
Tue May 1 06:53:18 MSD 2012

Personally I think all of the in place suggestions are suicide if you
are looking for minimum downtime.  Collins' suggestion is best given
the lack of a second server.  Install FS to /usr/local/freeswitch-dev/
 and test there.  You should be able to simply change your FS ports
and test against the dev version to make sure everything is working.
FreeSWITCH config changes and sometimes upgrading your config to
support new settings can be a pain.  Inplace requires downtime vs a
second dev copy on the same server should be able to nearly eliminate
it.  Testing allows your normal FS to go fine, change configs and once
dev is working just install to your primary install folder and copy
the config over.  I have been running FS for along time and there have
been a few times the upgrade has not quite just instantly worked,
having a nice test side to work on things on is a lot easier than
having to figure out what broke while people are waiting.

~mitch