[Freeswitch-users] Successful faxing with spandsp / T38 and stats

Mitch Capper mitch.capper at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 18:39:31 MSD 2012

Sorry Steve for the confusion so:
75% T38,ECM success rate: 82%

does mean that 75% of the tries used the T38,ECM flags  and 82%
succeed.    Whats important to note is that while I turn ECM on
frequently it gets disabled as the remote faxing does not support it
or the operator suppresses it.  I actually had a hard time getting ECM
to be enabled to most places.  What I show in the flags are the
options I pass to FS not necessarily how the fax ends up going.  So a
T38,ECM flag means I tell FS to use ECM and to invite with T38 but
obviously they could turn around and negotiate no T38 and no ECM.
Also remember that T38/ECM is the first method tried and with most
faxes only taking 1.3 tries there is a good chance the first method
would always have a high percent.    For the stats to be super useful
it would be better if I chose the method at random unfortunately I
care more about getting the faxes through faster than providing the
perfect FS faxing stats.

It is sad that VOIP faxing has such a lower first try success rate,
maybe with some tweaks it could get above where I have it now for the
first try, but (atleast for my situation) getting to the 99%+ success
rate overall for outbound faxing was something I did not initially get
the impression was highly likely to achieve.  (And sorry these are all
Outbound faxing stats I did not include any inbound as those are less
interesting) .

Finally yes the Failure reasons stats I assume are not super useful
but as I had them I figured I would throw them up.   Keep in mind the
% for each failure reason is not how often is occurs just how often it
is the reason a fax fails.   The idea being if you are trying to do
faxing and seeing percentages hugely different than that you may be
doing something else wrong.      There certainly could be a better
provider for T38 faxing than flowroute, but I was already using them
and as they were quite successful in delivering faxes for me I did not
do a huge search for other providers.  If however anyone does have
other recommendations I do want to replace T38faxing as my backup
provider.

~Mitch