[Freeswitch-users] FaxxBochs hackers?

Alex Crow acrow at integrafin.co.uk
Wed Jul 11 00:20:31 MSD 2012

All.

Still a lot of fax requirements in the finance world here - some brokers
still require it.

T.38 makes things easier without the admin having to worry about legal
issues due to the "realtime" nature of the transmission. Yes, it is
silly, as anyone can fiddle with the time in their receiving device,
anyone as a sender can change their T30 ID, but somehow it is quite fun
seeing old fax machines talking to each other, over the internet, with
no idea there isn't a real analog PSTN line involved anywhere!

In an ideal world everyone would know how to verify, eg, a PGP signed
document sent via email/sftp etc but I can't see the adoption reaching
critical mass for an audience like ours in my lifetime. Too many
proprietary "easy-to-use" "secure email" services that just fragment the
market, ignore established standards and detract from everyone adopting
a common mechanism. And the stuff with RFCs: S/MIME anyone? SSMTP? Feels
like p**sing in the wind when I talk to non-techies about those, let
alone PKI and trust networks. Only huge corps and govermnent ever use
such things and even then it's a nightmare to enrol in their schemes due
to the huge mass of forms you have to fill in!

Cheers

Alex

On 10/07/12 17:50, Andrew Cassidy wrote:
> Yes, faxing is great fun! But it's true, if you're working for someone
> you can recommend better ways, but if a client says 'I want fax' and
> you say 'no', kiss that sale goodbye. I'd rather support faxing (which
> freeswitch makes pretty simple) than lose out on all the money!
>
> On 10 July 2012 12:12, Brian Foster <bdfoster at endigotech.com
> <mailto:bdfoster at endigotech.com>> wrote:
>
>     Besides, fax is fun, right?
>
>     Brian Foster
>     Endigo Computer LLC
>
>     Sent from a mobile device.
>
>     On Jul 10, 2012 12:43 AM, "Michael Giagnocavo" <mgg at giagnocavo.net
>     <mailto:mgg at giagnocavo.net>> wrote:
>
>         Sure, and I wholeheartedly agree. But none of these arguments
>         are compelling to users, and making them just means you'll
>         lose a sale. It's unlikely a large fax customer is going to
>         say "Wow, you know, I now realize faxes are just ancient
>         relics, and we're going to ditch them." By not enabling faxes,
>         you only end up harming the customer.
>
>         -Michael
>
>         *From:*freeswitch-users-bounces at lists.freeswitch.org
>         <mailto:freeswitch-users-bounces at lists.freeswitch.org>

This message is intended only for the addressee and may contain
confidential information.  Unless you are that person, you may not
disclose its contents or use it in any way and are requested to delete
the message along with any attachments and notify us immediately.

"Transact" is operated by Integrated Financial Arrangements plc
Domain House, 5-7 Singer Street, London  EC2A 4BQ
Tel: (020) 7608 4900 Fax: (020) 7608 5300
(Registered office: as above; Registered in England and Wales under number: 3727592)
Authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority (entered on the FSA Register; number: 190856)