[Freeswitch-users] To Proxy Media or Not

Kristian Kielhofner kris at kriskinc.com
Wed Mar 9 22:07:17 MSK 2011

Fax over g711 (if it's going to work at all) should not be affected by
proxy media or default media handling as long as you allow PCMU/PCMA
when using the default media handling.  However, T38 and fax over 711
are completely different.  Using T38 through FreeSWITCH with the
default media handling will require some extra configuration (nothing
drastic).

No one said anything about transcoding...  Proxy media mode does not
have the ability to transcode at all as FreeSWITCH is completely
unaware what codec you are using (internally it actually reports
"proxy" as the codec).

Just because you're using default media mode DOES NOT mean you will be
transcoding.  Using some Sofia params and late-negotiation dialplan
logic you can have an incredible amount of control over what codecs
your end points are using.  As long as they agree on at least one
codec and codec parameters you are the one who decides which codecs
take precedence and whether or not you'll be transcoding.

--
Kristian Kielhofner