[Freeswitch-users] in bypass_media mode, 2833 payload type modified by freeswitch!

Michael Collins msc at freeswitch.org
Thu Jun 16 01:09:37 MSD 2011

QQ,

I don't see that FreeSWITCH is doing anything incorrect here. According to
RFC3264, the offerer (FreeSWITCH) sends an SDP and in the case of RTP, the
answerer (GRSIP Gateway) must use the payload type offered, even if the
answerer uses a different payload type when it sends a telephone-event.

Specifically near the end:

"In the case of RTP, it MUST use the payload type numbers

   from the offer, even if they differ from those in the answer."

Technically, FreeSWITCH isn't "changing" anything anyway. The originator of
the call (Vox Callcontrol) is the one who chose PT 101 in the INVITE that it
sent to FreeSWITCH. FS is just passing that along without modifying it.

I think you need to contact the people running the gateway and make sure
that they understand that they are not following RFC3264 if they're
rejecting telephone-events in PT 101 simply because they prefer to send in
PT 110. Also, if your Vox Callcontrol client has any configuration options
then maybe you can tell it to use PT 110 for RFC2833 DTMFs. It is a bit of a
workaround but this is SIP, so no one is expecting perfection. :)

-MC