[Freeswitch-users] change sounds file format of voicemail

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Fri Jul 1 18:21:24 MSD 2011

On 06/30/2011 03:05 AM, Kris wrote:
> I am doing testing and I am about to submit changes to the GIT to allow
> 8000x8 bit wav and 8000x4bit vox recording. What formats would you like to
8000x8 bit is a really stupid choice. A-law or u-law would do a far
better job, despite being lossy codecs. The dynamic range of 8 bit line
audio just isn't enough for speech. 8000x4bit vox made sense in the 90s,
because Dialogic used it, and they were big in IVRs. It seems a very
obsolete choice these days.

Steve