[Freeswitch-users] which language to implement dial plans in?

Avi Marcus avi at avimarcus.net
Fri Feb 18 11:17:02 MSK 2011

On Feb 18, 2011 8:51 AM, "Edward de Jong" <edward.dejong at voicecarrier.com>
wrote:

> I am new to freeswitch, and wondering which of the many languages to
implement my rather complex dial plan in. I know i can't express my desires
in the normal XML language, because I need looping and database access
There is a mod called mod_odbc_query in the git contrib that lets you make
sql queries from the dialplan. The static xml can do a lot.
I'm not sure what you mean by looping, but you can transfer to a new number,
and it can restart going through thr dialplan.

, so which language is the best tested and most reliable in terms of usage
with FreeSwitch. My finalists so far are Lua, Python, and good old C.
Haven't used python or lua yet, but I figure C will have a big performance
advantage.

> but maybe not important considering how much greater the CPU load in the
switch is devoted to handling audio streams...

Lua can be run directly, whereas python would be used eith mod_xml_curl,
served from a server (I do tis with php) so if you know lua, use it. If you
like python, use that.
C is probably overkill becaue you would need to compile it for any change
you make. If you have standardized functions that don't already have a mod,
then by all means write a modin C and share it wih the community.
-Avi