[Freeswitch-users] Auto test FS install - now necessary?

Anthony Minessale anthony.minessale at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 17:58:53 MSK 2011

I've been doing this a long time and it boils down to:

50% superstition/paranoia.
50% regressions from commits.

Stop and think. Without people updating everyday and telling us when
something is not right, we may never find out.
Engaging in the community and this mailing list and irc is a community
effort and its sometimes a BETA program too.
Just like if this was a cool video game, you get to play it before
everyone else.
It's hard to follow every possible execution path and get into every
nook and cranny of 3 million lines of code.
Even with the best unit testing int the world, we can't do it without
real people testing.
If you stop updating or persuade others to stop, now we are in real trouble.

Also, pay attention to the GIT commit messages:

This particular problem (which is fixed now btw) was committed with a
warning to please test.
There was a bigger problem earlier this week that resulted in some
minority invasive changes and its easy to catch the problems and in
the end the software is now more stable.

commit f60fdf653dd2d7f8d3eaa6a9086e1f68bd993c59
Author: Anthony Minessale <anthm at freeswitch.org>
Date:   Wed Feb 2 16:22:43 2011 -0600

    fix possible bad pointer in global vars (please test)

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 11:46 PM, Avi Marcus <avi at avimarcus.net> wrote:
> Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but I've been seeing a lot of "I just updated
> to latest git and X broke"
> And that x is always something else...
> I'm not a seasoned coder on this magnitude, but perhaps we can develop a
> test suite (at least part of one) to test that a fresh install is
> functioning?
> A FULL test would probably be a huge undertaking and involve recqual for
> testing media, too... Also, each mod would need to have it's own test suite.
> Due to the rapid updating of FreeSWITCH this not be what you want to put
> your effort into, but...
> Thoughts?
>
> On Feb 4, 2011 4:04 AM, "Anirudha Shimpi" <anu at familytv.com> wrote:
>> Just downloaded (from git) and installed FS 1.0.7, however, every time I
>> do
>> originate user/1001 &park, FS crashes. Running Centos 5.5 64 bit.

Anthony Minessale II

FreeSWITCH http://www.freeswitch.org/
ClueCon http://www.cluecon.com/

AIM: anthm