[Freeswitch-users] Optimal configuration for compiling on 64-bit platforms

A E [Gmail] all.eforums at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 03:00:51 MSD 2011

On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 7:40 PM, Giovanni Maruzzelli <gmaruzz at gmail.com>wrote:

> Compiler options have nothing to do with libraries incompatibilities.
> Why don't you use the standard libraries given by your distro?
> Never heard someone had to compile ssl libs for FreeSWITCH.
> Also never heard someone used any compiler options on standard machines.
> FS is targeted toward 64bit OSes, most people use CentOS, Ubuntu and
> Debian. CentOS is by far the most used and the reference platform. On
> 64bit.
> That said, if you're trying to optimize it for a PIII, an EPIA 5000 or
> an ARM, or whatever is not a standard server class machine, yes you
> better know how to optimize :).

Well 'you told me so' Giovanni ;)

It's finally built! I deleted the entire source directory, did a brand new
git clone, bootstrap and the whole process with NO switches, flags or
options given to 'configure'

But the 'configure' etc did NOT take care of the fact that it's a 64-bit
platform, proven by the following:

$ file ./.libs/freeswitch
./.libs/freeswitch: ELF 32-bit MSB executable, SPARC32PLUS, V8+ Required,
version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux
2.6.18, not stripped

Now I have heard from people in the debian-sparc forum that in the case of
debian port, sparc32 is in fact faster than sparc64 and as a result the
current userland is actually 32-bit. If that applies to FS built as 32-bit
in this environment to be faster or comparable in performance to 64-bit,
then I'm golden. Else, I guess I have no other choice as I can't figure out
how to build it and get past the ssl problem I was having with all those m64
flags!