[Freeswitch-users] mod_sofia in contact header

Gavin Henry gavin.henry at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 16:43:25 PDT 2010

On 28 September 2010 22:30, Ross McKillop <ross at ossiantelecom.co.uk> wrote:
> Is it possible to change the user portion of the URI in the contact header ?
>
> I know you can change it when originating a call using sip_contact_user but there
> doesn't appear to be a way to change this on a per-profile basis so that it's also
> used in REGISTER and NOTIFY.
>
> I want to hide it in order to obscure what I use for security - in much the same
> reason as you would disable or obscure the Server header in Apache HTTPD
> or the greeting from an SMTP server.  Anywhere someone sees mod_sofia@
> they know FreeSWITCH is at the other end and can refine an attack based on
> this.
>
> I appreciate that FreeSWITCH is quite secure, and there aren't many known
> exploits for it - but every little helps to give a potential intruder less information
> to go on.

Hey Ross,

If you search the archives there have been other questions like this but more
from a "I don't want people to know we use FreeSWITCH or Open Source" point
of view.

Have a read of the valid replies why FS branding at some levels stays
in and your options. I'd
be proud to show off FS and just want to hide version/git numbers.

Even if you did hide that you can still work out it's FreeSWITCH, but
saying that
sofia is an open source Nokia stack so it doesn't mean FreeSWITCH straight
away.

FreeSWITCH is respected and an extremely reliable product (plus all the other
praise I'm too tired to write!) and should be honoured. It's saved us a fortune
with our VoIP interconnects and we try to put money back into it (got
a project starting
soon re billing/LCR etc.).

Cheers,

Gavin.