[Freeswitch-users] what happened to iax

Anthony Minessale anthony.minessale at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 07:57:37 PDT 2010

our current position on iax is as follows;

mod_iax is in the unsupported repo and already is probably not
compiling due to recent changes to the core.
The protocol exposed backwards incompatibilities that led to crashes
so we no longer trust it in our codebase.

We feel that in order to support IAX we either need to go with derek
and opal or build a completely standalone robust IAX stack which is a
much more complicated, expensive and almost academic of a solution at
this juncture.

On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 9:07 AM, Steve Underwood <steveu at coppice.org> wrote:
>  On 09/07/2010 12:06 PM, Derek Smithies wrote:
>> Hi,
>>  There is another solution.
>>
>> As discussed at Cluecon.
>> There is most of the iax code available in the opal/ptlib libraries.
>>
>> Sure - opal&ptlib don't build in freeswitch - some issue about this
>> was mentioned at cluecon this year. However, the build script in
>> freeswitch (from when I last looked) uses a branch version of ptlib
>> and trunk version of opal.. Not a good mix. Better to use the trunk
>> revision of ptlib&opal -- where ptlib&opal come from the same SVN
>> revision number.
>>
>> Ok - there needs to be an iax registrar put into the opal code -
>> bounties anyone? and you never know - it would be quite doable..
>>
>> The voip protocol side of iax is useful - and great for people to use
>> when
>> connecting from an unknown position to some server on the public
>> internet.
>> Sufficiently useful to make it worth using.
>  From an unknown position on the internet STUN usually works just fine.
> The * people loving saying STUN is all very bad, but a recent exchange
> on their mailing list seems to indicate none of them understand it. :-)
>
> If you like this media through the signalling server scheme, I have a
> new car I think you'll love. Every trip it makes goes though the
> forecourt of the dealer who supplied it. :-)
>
> Steve

Anthony Minessale II

FreeSWITCH http://www.freeswitch.org/
ClueCon http://www.cluecon.com/