[Freeswitch-users] what happened to iax

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Tue Sep 7 07:07:26 PDT 2010

  On 09/07/2010 12:06 PM, Derek Smithies wrote:
> Hi,
>  There is another solution.
>
> As discussed at Cluecon.
> There is most of the iax code available in the opal/ptlib libraries.
>
> Sure - opal&ptlib don't build in freeswitch - some issue about this
> was mentioned at cluecon this year. However, the build script in
> freeswitch (from when I last looked) uses a branch version of ptlib
> and trunk version of opal.. Not a good mix. Better to use the trunk
> revision of ptlib&opal -- where ptlib&opal come from the same SVN
> revision number.
>
> Ok - there needs to be an iax registrar put into the opal code -
> bounties anyone? and you never know - it would be quite doable..
>
> The voip protocol side of iax is useful - and great for people to use
> when
> connecting from an unknown position to some server on the public
> internet.
> Sufficiently useful to make it worth using.
 From an unknown position on the internet STUN usually works just fine.
The * people loving saying STUN is all very bad, but a recent exchange
on their mailing list seems to indicate none of them understand it. :-)

If you like this media through the signalling server scheme, I have a
new car I think you'll love. Every trip it makes goes though the
forecourt of the dealer who supplied it. :-)

Steve