[Freeswitch-users] Tutorial: FreeSwitch as Media Server and SBC for Kamailio 3.1

Kristian Kielhofner kris at kriskinc.com
Tue Nov 30 08:55:27 PST 2010

mazilo,

  Configurations such as this are typically used in
high-volume/high-availability configurations where the added
complexity is needed to meet the unique demands of these systems.

  If you're providing standard PBX functionality to a few hundred
(maybe even thousand) users, FreeSWITCH will do very well on its own
(even on a single machine).  If you need to provide this functionality
to tens of thousands of users (perhaps even more) it starts to make
sense to use Kamailio and FreeSWITCH together with Kamailio providing
significant scale benefits for SIP signaling and FreeSWITCH providing
media handling and PBX functionality.

  This configuration is also more well suited to failover, load
balancing, HA, etc using the SIP functionality in Kamailio.  From what
I can tell you're better off using FreeSWITCH standalone.

--
Kristian Kielhofner
http://www.astlinux.org