[Freeswitch-users] Newbie Questions

Anthony Minessale anthony.minessale at gmail.com
Fri Mar 19 10:21:46 PDT 2010

If you plan to transcode g729 to g711 it will impact performance
dramatically but you should still get a few hundered channels up on a nice
server box.  You could contact consulting at freeswitch.org about g729 license
options.

With no g729 you could scale a nice 8 core box into a few thousand channels
pushing rtp.

Do you have a requirement to transcode g729?  you could just use g711 right
from the phone couldn't you?

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 10:13 AM, Ken Fulmer <
kenfulmer at icstechnologysolutions.com> wrote:

>  1.       We would like to transcode from g711mu internally to g729 for
> PSTN calls. Is this possible?
>
> 2.       We are using sipX as an open source PBX. We’d like to use
> FreeSwitch purely as a B2BUA for connectivity to the PSTN. Our Polycom
> phones use SIP REFER messages to do call transfers and our ITSPs can’t
> handle those. So, we’ve tried the “under the hood” FreeSwitch within sipX.
> It works for many applications but we need to scale a unified system for
> larger customer deployments. If we want to create a trunk to an ITSP and a
> trunk to an internal PBX, would we use the external gateway XML files for
> both? We don’t plan to point any internal phones to the FreeSwitch box
> (we’re using sipX as an internal PBX).
>
> 3.       If we use multiple ITSPs, can we assign a priority to each one,
> so one will be chosen first?
>
> 4.       I understand no performance metrics are posted. Can anyone share
> their experiences with passing RTP through the server? Does RTP affect
> performance in a big way (very open ended question, I know). We are looking
> for ball park answers so we’ll have some idea of scalability for our
> designs.
>

> Thanks,
>

> Ken Fulmer

Anthony Minessale II