[Freeswitch-users] Freeswitch & SNMP ( again , but with a difference )

Tihomir Culjaga tculjaga at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 12:44:23 PST 2010

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 9:38 AM, jay binks <jaybinks at gmail.com> wrote:

> has anyone done any work on getting SNMP monitoring of freeswitch ??
>
> from looking at some other emails about this, it seems that there is not a
> heap of desire ( from developers point of view )
> to have a FS SNMP module.   Ive also noticed most requests for this type of
> monitoring are directed to ESL.

because there is no need :)

> so my thought,  has anyone done any work on building a script / module for
> NET-SNMP ( http://net-snmp.sourceforge.net/ )
> that uses ESL to fetch its data.

what i'm doing is just make a script to call fs_cli -x command

e.g.

tculjaga at nemesis:~$ /usr/local/freeswitch/bin/fs_cli -x "status"
UP 0 years, 0 days, 0 hours, 0 minutes, 8 seconds, 470 milliseconds, 62
microseconds
0 session(s) since startup
0 session(s) 0/30
1000 session(s) max

and bind it to an OID...

I'm even firing SIPP with to check end-to-end FS sanity.

> so we would run snmpd on our FS boxes, with the FS-ESL module ( or script )
> loaded into snmpd.
> from there SNMP requests would be handled by snmpd and the data would then
> be pulled over ESL directly from freeswitch.
>
> this seems like a decent solution that would not risk stability of FS by
> introducing yet another module.
>
> so I guess my question here is, has anyone done something like this ?

yes...

> what do you all think of this idea ?
> is there anyone who would like to contribute to this idea or offer other
> suggestions.

it is just a script ... quite easy to setup...

prepare your script:

[tculjaga@ bin]$ cat activeChannels.sh
#!/bin/sh

CHANNELS=`/usr/local/freeswitch/bin/fs_cli -x "show channels count"
|/bin/grep total | /bin/awk {'print $1'}`
/bin/echo $CHANNELS
exit $CHANNELS
[tculjaga at l01sipindir2 bin]$
[tculjaga at l01sipindir2 bin]$
[tculjaga at l01sipindir2 bin]$ cat currentCallsPerSec.sh
#!/bin/sh

in snmpd.conf add this:

exec activeChannels /usr/local/bin/activeChannels.sh
exec checkCallFlowCPS /usr/local/bin/sipgen/sipgen.sh 1234 1 10

> oh yea, and why SNMP..  I duno...
> SNMP is just so easy to integrate into other monitoring systems.

because every NMS uses it .. maybe thats why :)