[Freeswitch-users] Native stacks

Mathieu Parent math.parent at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 10:40:33 PDT 2010

On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 5:18 PM, Anthony Minessale
<anthony.minessale at gmail.com> wrote:
> I want the native stack to succeed because our goal was to have an open
> source BSD licensed free ISDN stack so we can put an end to people selling
> it for ungodly fees.
> The libpri is fine to use if a user assembles it himself but ultimately it's
> GPL and there is a grey-area license conflict with using with FS.
>  Technically OpenZAP/FreeTDM is BSD and compat with libpri but according to
> the greedy GPL, when you load it the GPL infects the whole code and makes it
> also GPL.  FS is MPL and is happily compat with OpenZAP/FreeTDM but there is
> a philosophical debate as to if the BSD lib in the middle that completely
> abstracts the 2 entities, protects FS from the GPL
> FreeTDM is still OpenZAP, just with another name.  Sangoma is only working
> on their own modules for FreeTDM and the API as a whole still supports
> everything OpenZAP does.  I think stkn will merge his stack back into
> FreeTDM and it can continue to be developed for those who don't have Sangoma
> cards.

Next MPL version might be compatible with GPL. It is in the spec list
http://mpl.mozilla.org/scope/ . As MPL 2.0 is scheduled for fall 2010,
we will know more then. Also FreeSWITCH is MPL 1.1 and not "MPL 1.1 or
later" so it will need to be relicensed.

Talking about relicensing, why not relicense FreeSWITCH under
MPL/LGPL/GPL as Mozilla does, and for the same reasons (see
http://www-archive.mozilla.org/MPL/relicensing-faq.html#why-relicensing
for explanation)?

Regards

Mathieu Parent