[Freeswitch-users] Howler - Gone?

Kristian Kielhofner kris at kriskinc.com
Wed Jul 21 08:25:45 PDT 2010

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 11:01 AM, Steve Underwood <steveu at coppice.org> wrote:
> I suppose they might, but I can't see any commercial incentive for them
> to do so. Sangoma now has the only card that does a decent number of
> channels, so they face no competition for larger users. For smaller
> users (i.e. potential Digium TC400B card buyers) transcoding on the main
> CPU makes more sense these days. The latest 8 core Xeons should be good
> for over a thousand channels of G.729A transcoding.
>
> Steve

  We should also consider the economics here...

  The flagship of the 7500 series (the X7560) is selling for upwards
of $4000 in bulk (obviously this will go down over time).  The 480
channel Sangoma card is around $2000.  The 480 channel Sangoma card
includes licenses and support for G.711, G.722, G.722.1, G.726,
G.729AB, GSM-FR, GSM-EFR, AMR, AMR-WB, and iLBC.

  At $10/channel for a FreeSWITCH software license (assuming they
don't offer bulk pricing) you'd pay around $14,000 for 1000 channels
of G729 on that CPU (no other codecs).  With Sangoma you'd pay $4,000
and get support for AMR and AMR-WB, which FreeSWITCH doesn't even
offer software support for (that I know of).

--
Kristian Kielhofner
http://www.astlinux.org