[Freeswitch-users] Multiple (3) NICs

Тарас Гірник taras.p.gyrnik at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 11:48:13 PDT 2010

Hi, guys.

Sorry for posting suppose such a frequently asked question, but anyway it's
still problem for me to handle Freeswitch on 3 different subnetworks. In
fact i was able to run, but with one discfuntion - on one of the instances
there was no sound in one direction. I know you say this problem is related
to NAT and so on, but let me ask anyway. It should mentioned that first i
was run Asterisk and it was fine with that setup.
Another important thing is Freeswitch runs under guest OS Debian/Lenny in
OpenVZ environment (kernel 2.6.18 with ovz patch)
Network:
venet0:0 192.168.1.128/24
venet0:1 public_ip + default route here
eth2: 172.20.252.6/30 + route 172.20.252.0/24 via 172.20.252.5 (complete
interface derived to guest OS, nothing to deal with HN)

My peers is
192.168.1.1 (asterisk runs here, under my administration)
192.168.1.204 (gsm gateway, under my administration)
x.x.x.x (remote peer under my administration)
172.20.252.2 (voip providers proxy, no authentication here, not under my
administration)

I successfully installed profiles belong to first 3 ones and everything was
ok. I substituted external-sip external-rtp and others with my public ip.
The internal ones - with my internal.
The problem was with the last one. I have tried to force Freeswitch run on
that one but have no luck. Finally i copied profile "internal.xml" to
"internal-2.xml" (actually i tried the same with external.xml) in
"sip_profiles" dir and change it to parse files from
"sip_profiles/internal-2" dir.
I have no idea is this right way, but anyway it works and Freeswitch start
to listen on 172.20.252.6. I also used inbound-acl and proxy-acl to handle
with no authorization. Freeswitch was able to handle incoming calls on
172.20.252.6 and even it was sound in both directions. But if you try to add
a dialplan which will use 172.20.252.2 as an outbound proxy you will see
that call is handled correctly but no voice there.
I examined outgoing packets send by my phone to Freeswitch and from
Freeswitch to 172.20.252.2 and found no rtp was transmitted over eth2 (from
freeswitch to proxy) only from my phone to freeswitch. There is no FW on
guest OS, i tried to stop in on HN but nothing changed. Packets come to
venet0 ok, but then for some reasons are not transmitted to eth2. I'm sure
that is something with nat-acl as far as 172.16/16 is also private space
addresses, but i'm not sure.

Please, help me with that and if you know the right way to handle such 3
subnets config correctly, tell me.
Freeswitch was build from the git.
Corresponding conf from Asterisk, works

[172.20.252.2]
type=friend
context=***
canreinvite=no
host=172.20.252.2
disallow=all
allow=alaw
videosupport=no
outboundproxy=172.20.252.2
fromuser=***

from freeswitch (no audio during outgoing calls)
http://www.privatepaste.com/bebc7e8988 sip_profiles/internal-2.xml
and http://www.privatepaste.com/4df33fc7a5 sip_profiles/internal-2/int.
xml