[Freeswitch-users] Replace "Freeswitch" in SDP

Kristian Kielhofner kris at kriskinc.com
Tue Apr 27 15:17:39 PDT 2010

Ken,

  You'll find in many technical communities (this is certainly one of
them) people are usually more interested in the "why" behind a
question than the question itself.

  This is certainly one of those cases.  You'll noticed no one (myself
included) responded with anything constructive.  While I can see how
that is frustrating I'll try to explain where this comes from.

  It would certainly seem more efficient to just answer individual
questions as quickly and succinctly as possible:

Q: "How do I change FreeSWITCH in the SDP?"
A: "Edit line xxx in mod_sofia.c" (or whatever)."

  The problem is this direct question/answer model often causes
behavior undesired by the person asking the question.  In this case,
it's quite likely you'd come back to the list in a couple of weeks
with something like:

Q: "When calling device XXX from manufacturer YYY I'm experiencing the
following strange audio problems..."

  Unless the list regulars happen to remember who you are and your
previous question about modifying the SDP it might not be immediately
obvious that your problem is caused by your previous source code
modification.  A SIP trace showing the modified SDP may give some
hints but it's unlikely that would be obvious as the source of your
audio problems.  This would cause you unnecessary strife and probably
bewilder more than a few list participants.

  The "veterans" Michael referred to have seen this play out time and
time again.  They (I'm not assigning myself any titles) know enough to
ALWAYS ask more questions.  They've seen platforms (FreeSWITCH
included) modify their behavior based on the remote endpoint (whether
identified by SIP User Agent or SDP origin).

  We're lucky they are around to share all of their experience and
beat us up when we get these crazy ideas in our heads ;).

--
Kristian Kielhofner
http://www.astlinux.org