[Freeswitch-users] Replace "Freeswitch" in SDP

Michael Collins msc at freeswitch.org
Tue Apr 27 14:20:55 PDT 2010

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 1:54 PM, Ken Fulmer <
kenfulmer at icstechnologysolutions.com> wrote:

> We have competitors using vendor solutions that are expensive as hell. So,
> we are trying to counter with a less expensive but powerful solution. What
> exactly is wrong with that? And what is wrong with trying to extend the
> barrier to entry for our competitors as long as possible? Not sure why
> there's such a mystery here...

No mystery, just a question of whether masking your UA in the SDP will have
a net positive effect. The guys who've chimed in on this thread are
battle-hardened veterans of the VoIP business. If they felt that messing
with the SDP could reasonably give you a competitive edge then they'd tell
you how to do it. You are not at all the first person to ask about this.
People tried this years ago in Asterisk, and AFAICT the ROI was near zero or
worse - things stopped working and people had to waste time/money/energy
chasing down SIP interop issues.

That all being said, no one here will try to stop you from trying. Just be
prepared to go it alone because most of the experts here really aren't
interested in helping people do things that could have such a potentially
negative impact on their systems.

-MC