[Freeswitch-users] Questions on ISDN support for Freeswitch

Albano Daniele Salvatore - Lavoro info at daccii.it
Mon Nov 30 11:46:54 PST 2009

Hi to all,

shortly i'll make a pbx for a customer that uses a couple of isdn bri
lines and, looking for hardware, i've seen that not too much expensive
isdn cards that works well are the ones that uses hfc-4/8s controller
(specifically i'll use a OpenVox B200P that has 2 ISDN ports and use an
HFC-4S controller).

I've seen that FreeSwitch doesn't support mISDN but uses openzap (trough
ozmod_isdn.so). I got some serious troubles using OpenZAP on analogical
lines (bad dtmf recognition on fxs ports (like press 4 and get 44),
annoying noise, busy/hangup tone unrecognized [tones, in italy, differs
by cadency and not frequency], and more). Using tone_detect i bypassed
the tone recognition problem and the noise was however acceptable: the
blocking problem was the bad dtmf recognition. In the end (hope god
forgive me) i put asterisk as (*1*)(*2*)sip proxy between zaptel and
freeswich: i need to fix in config hangup cause detection but it seems
to works fine.

So my questions are:
- Do freeswitch supports mISDN?
- If it doesn't support mISDN, tone and dtmf recognition will be done by
the isdn card, the kernel module or will be done by openzap?
- There are alternative ways to use (*3*) mISDN with freeswitch, apart
put asterisk as proxy?

Thank for your support!

Best Regards,
Daniele

---

(*1*) At beginning i tried using IAX but freeswitch segfaults when it
try to answer the call and when i reload the module (trought reload
mod_iax) shutdown routing didn't get called(the used iax library,
smartly, start using another port without saying anything), however i
need to do more testing: hope to open some tickets on jira in short.

(*2*) I've seen that mod_iax config file support a "context" variable,
but it isn't used so i wrote a small fix to use it if context isn't
specified in the iax request

(*3*) I need to use mISDN, rather other things, because i should use
octasis soft echo cancellation and them supports only mISDN and Zaptel
modules