[Freeswitch-users] Polycom Phones and Domains

Andrew Fritz afritzlists at fritztech.com
Mon Nov 30 08:54:52 PST 2009

I'm attempting to configure several varieties of polycom (SoundPoint IP
550, SoundPoint IP 601) phones to connect to a freeswitch instance using
a domain other than default (i.e. the ip address). Everything works
wonderfully as long as the domain is named exactly the same thing as the
server host provided to the phone (whether that is the server's ip
address, or a hostname resolved via dns). As long as those match
everything is fine.

What I'm trying to sort out is, is it possible to convince the phone to
use something other than the server's hostname/ip as the second part of
the user name (i.e. user at host)? Or should I just resign myself to making
the domain name some host name that can resolve via DNS?

I've tried including @somedomain in the authid field of the line of the
phone, but freeswitch reports that the user someuser at somedomain@serverip
couldn't be authenticated. It appears that the phone always appends the
server name...

Does anyone know of a way that I configure a polycom to connect as
user1 at d1 and another to connect as user2 at d2 where d1 and d2 are NOT in
DNS or are polycoms just going to always use the server host as the @
part of the username?

Andrew