[Freeswitch-users] FIFO Orgination_caller_id

Michael Collins msc at freeswitch.org
Mon Nov 23 17:07:45 PST 2009

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 4:58 PM, Seven Du <dujinfang at gmail.com> wrote:

> And because it's static string for on-hook members, it's hard to set
> dynamically. For now, I'm using a callback way - whenever the sip client
> answered the call, it fetch the real connected number from a http server.
> That's not ideal because not only it add the complexity but also the callee
> have no idea what the number is before answer.
>
> The problem for on-hook agent is that it call the agent first, and then get
> one customer from the fifo queue, so it is not possible to let the agent
> know the real caller-id before answer. Ideas?

Tony and Brian were discussing this today. They bring up a really good
point: do you want to risk having calls remain on hold as they bounce around
looking for an agent? This can happen if you pre-determine which caller goes
to which agent and the agent doesn't answer. I do understand why this
feature matters to many people - it's how old school ACD systems work.
However, mod_fifo is more efficient. It's hard to justify decreasing call
routing efficiency in order to display the caller's info to the on-hook
agent prior to answering.

-MC