[Freeswitch-users] Unable to successfully bridge calls to an "external" user

David Robinson pawzlion at gmail.com
Mon May 18 18:02:50 PDT 2009

> My suspicion is that the RTP traffic isn't traversing the NAT
> properly. You
> may have to configure the routers at both ends to forward the RTP
> packets to
> the correct destinations. There is a good discussion of NAT on the
> wiki.

Situation: FS (10.0.0.12) -> DMZ (124.254.81.250) -> Internet -> NAT
(203.206.171.118) -> Softphone (10.0.0.2)

The problem is there's so much discussion of NAT that I'm not sure
where to start. OK the problem is that I can't control the "external"
user's router so I need a solution that works by only fixing the FS
end. I've put my FS in the DMZ, but of course it's still got a local
LAN IP address. Is there something I can configure to make FS realise
that it _doesn't_ need to use NAT ? Whenever my softphones register to
FS they register as UDP-NAT. Can I prevent that and make them register
as regular UDP ? It would seem like they don't need to be in NAT mode
since FS is in a DMZ, or do they ?

I tried setting inbound-late-negotiation in my external (is this
right ?) SIP profile and added proxy_media to my extension
configurations in the dialplans, but this made no difference. It's
possible that I haven't done this in the right spot or something.

The other thing that looks promising is on http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/External_profile
  which gives an example of a softphone registering to a NAT'd FS from
outside on the internet (Switch with External Softphone example) which
suggests I create a new external profile on a different port. I've
done this and the user's softphone can register fine, but when he
makes calls we still get no audio, presumably from lack of RTP data. I
then tried adding in values for rtp-ip, sip-ip, ext-rtp-ip and ext-sip-
ip on the new external profile to see if that made any difference but
it didn't. Step 6 of the example says "reference the caller from your
FreeSWITCH system as: sofia/external5090/<caller extension>@x.x.x.x:
5090". I'm not sure what that means. Do I have to change something
else to make it "reference" the caller by that external profile ? I
figured it must be at least using that external profile because the
phone is successfully registering on port 5090, but I'm not sure if I
have to do something different to route incoming calls from the main
external profile to the new 5090 one.

I'm just not sure which NAT-related solution I'm supposed to be using.
The External_profile wiki page example for the external softphone
seems to fit my situation but didn't solve anything. The proxy_media
solution seemed promising but had no real effect. It seems to me that
the solution has something to do with having FS know that it's in a
DMZ and that it doesn't need to do any NAT traversal, thereby making
it think it's got a live internet IP and therefore only the external
user would be using NAT traversal.

I hope someone can give me some insight into which particular NAT-
related solution I need because there seems to be dozens of ways to
deal with this problem and I can't figure out which applies.