[Freeswitch-users] echo cancellation on PRI cards

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Sun Mar 29 01:32:56 PDT 2009

Fadil Berisha wrote:

>     That's a simplification.  Simple IVR (record, replay, collect
>     DTMF) probably
>     doesn't need EC;
>

> Dave
>
> Collect DTMF does not need EC. I take out your word "probably"
> because  no need for any dilemma. Interaction between DTMF detector an
> EC *when EC exist* is different question and deserve separate  thread.
> Although  I am confirming your statement,// I can not say "I am voting
> for you", simple because this is not political forum to express
> believing to one or other leader or authority.
Receiving DTMF reliably needs a signal to noise ratio of about 10dB if
the noise is Gaussian. The statistics of voice mean you need the DTMF to
be more like 15dB above voice. Most hybrids are only required to have a
return loss of better than 12dB. They can be *much* better, but don't
count on it, especially at the phone's hybrid. You have multiple hybrids
in the path (usually 2 or 4). Let's take the better case with only 2
sitting between the outgoing exchange card and the far end phone. Put
10km of copper between the exchange the phone (typical copper planning
limit) and you probably have 15dB of attenuation on the line. Now your
DTMF is actually below the level of the voice prompt for much of the
time. Think that will work with an echo canceller?

Sure you can get reliable DTMF detection on 70%-80% of call paths with
no echo cancellation, but if you want reliability with close to 100% of
phone lines, you need echo cancellation to remove the voice prompt from
the signal received at the IVR. Dialogic, NMS, and the others didn't put
EC on their cards for nothing. The only reason the normal connection of
a phone to a line card gets reliable detection of the first dialed digit
in the presence of a dialing tone is that the DTMF detector heavily
filters that dialing tone.

Forget the political forum crap. If you want to refute what I just said,
try to back up your argument with some actual engineering.

Regards,
Steve