[Freeswitch-users] echo cancellation on PRI cards

Anthony Minessale anthony.minessale at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 15:35:35 PDT 2009

Well,

>From my experience, an AS5300 thinks nearly *anthing* is dtmf.
The one I have as a PSTN onramp to our conference bridge drives me bonkers
with false positives
since every key on the pad means something in our default conference.

Jim Dixon designed the el-cheapo (tormenta 2) to put as many resources on
the host as possible, that was the goal behind the initiative.
The driver for this card was the template on which the entire Zaptel (now
Dahdi) was based.

What's interesting is that early zapata library (a user space abstraction
lib) was completely consumed by chan_zap and from there
may of the featues were gravitated towards the linux kernel then eventually
into the hardware as new cards were developed.

The typical reason for this kind of evolution is customers.  When there was
no TDM to be had at all, el-cheapo and software was the bees knees.
As they started getting more greedy and anxious for higher quality, they
started asking for improvements that lead to more stuff onboard in the new
cards.
I am guessing this will continue until the cards are too expensive and we
will go full circle back to all-on-host just in time for the 16 core CPU box
being standard issue.

It all depends on the strategy employed, if you want to use a tor2 and
oslec, (a software echo canceller that, in fact has none other than Steve
Underwood from this thread as a collaberator) then do it.  If it ain't
broke, don't fix it.....If you prefer to have hardware EC, then buy a card
that supports it.

------
see http://www.rowetel.com/ucasterisk/oslec.html
Background and Credits

Oslec started life as a prototype echo canceller and G168 test framework
from Steve Underwood's Spandsp <http://www.soft-switch.org/> library. Steve
wrote much of the DSP code used in Asterisk, and the Zaptel echo
cancellation code is heavily based on his work.
------

Bottom line: There is no real correct answer because it depends on what your
goals are and what you personally prefer.

I personally have used both, I am annoyed with hardware EC because it breaks
software dtmf but now the sangoma drivers have hardware dtmf to use together
with hardware EC so that solves the problem.

I would prefer not to take any sides in this debate since everyone on this
thread has contributed greatly to our project and I respect them all.
I would, however, like to ask that maybe we can channel all of this
intelligence into some common goal and do somethng great rather than
spend our energy doing the techno-geek version of m&m freestyle rapping.

Anthony Minessale II

FreeSWITCH http://www.freeswitch.org/
ClueCon http://www.cluecon.com/

AIM: anthm