[Freeswitch-users] Newbie question: Why can't I dial?

Michael Collins msc at freeswitch.org
Tue Mar 17 16:17:05 PDT 2009

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 3:35 PM, Mark Thomas
<mthomas at themarketbuilder.com> wrote:
> Hello, everyone.
>
> I am new to Freeswitch, and telephony in general.  I am trying to set up a Freeswitch system at work for a project, and I have hit a wall.
>
> I have a dedicated LD T1 from Qwest and a Sangoma A104 card.  I believe I have openzap correctly installed in wanpipe mode. I am trying to bridge an incoming SIP call from an IP phone to an openzap channel without success.  The Freeswitch log shows that dialing takes place, but the call never completes.
>
> The call log is here: http://pastebin.freeswitch.org/7805
> The dialplan xml, openzap.conf, and openzap.conf.xml are here: http://pastebin.freeswitch.org/7806
>
> Any help greatly appreciated.

Actually I found two things you need to change in the dialplan. What's
happening is that you are telling openzap to dial out span 1, lowest
channel number, but you don't actually give it a phone number to dial.
Here's the current dialplan:

 <extension name="outgoing-pri">
    <condition field="destination_number" expression="^.+$">
    <action application="bridge" data="openzap/1/a"/>
  </condition>

first, your expression is a bit dangerous. second, it doesn't actually
"capture" the dialed number. I recommend that you do something like
this:

    <condition field="destination_number" expression="^9(\d+)$">

Note the leading nine, the \d+ and the parentheses. Essentially this regex says:
Match any string of digits that begins with a 9 and has at least one
additional digit.
The parens will put the value of (\d+) into the variable $1.

Your bridge then would be this:

    <action application="bridge" data="openzap/1/a/$1"/>

Now, reload your dialplan (press F6 or type "reloadxml" at the CLI)
and dial out with a leading 9:
95551212 will send 5551212 to the telco.

Try it and report back!
-MC (IRC: mercutioviz)