[Freeswitch-users] Is there any license G729?

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Mon Jun 29 09:09:59 PDT 2009

Nyamul Hassan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just noted Micheal Collins mention "Enjoy lower quality G.729
> calls".  By "lower quality" do you mean G.729 in TC400B is lower in
> quality compared to software compression?  Or is that comparing G.729
> with G.711?

I think he is just saddened by the way people tolerant crappy quality,
and how slow the takeup of wideband voice has been.

The TC400B doesn't do G.729. It does G.729A, which is significantly
lower in quality. However, G.729A is what almost all equipment that
vaguely says G.729 actually implements. Its lousy, but few people care.
The TC400B works as well or as badly as anything else.

Steve