[Freeswitch-users] mod_g729

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Thu Jan 22 16:30:06 PST 2009

Kristian Kielhofner wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 6:35 PM, Michael S Collins <msc at freeswitch.org> wrote:
>
>> On Jan 22, 2009, at 3:15 PM, Brian West <brian at freeswitch.org> wrote:
>>

>>> Not really what I would call a break... but at some point in the $1.6
>>> million range you stop paying.
>>>
>>> /b
>>>
>> Like I said, OSS FTW baby!
>> -MC
>>

> Quite the contrary.
>
> If Speex means you require faster, more capable DSPs, you are going to
> continue paying for them per unit.  At $1.6mil you stop paying for
> G.729 licenses (basically a fixed cost at that point, regardless of
> volume or quantity).
>
> I'm sure most of the big guys paying for G.729 have no problem with that.
>
> I love OSS and Speex as much as any of us; I'm just trying to play
> devil's advocate and attempt to explain some of the strategy from
> those continuing to pay for G.729...

Depends what you are after. Speex offers the quality of G.729 at around
the same processing load. However, nobody seems to want to pay for the
processing load of G.729. Almost everything uses G.729A. Half the
processing load, but significantly poorer quality.

VoIP is mostly a race to the bottom, and people wonder why it makes no
money for provides. :-\

Regards,
Steve