[Freeswitch-users] LDAP for user authentication & phone numbers

Adrian Gschwend ktk at netlabs.org
Thu Sep 25 06:50:19 PDT 2008

Hi group,

I know this topic comes up every few months so sorry for bringing it up
again ;)

I use FreeSWITCH for our open source project for quite some time now and
we are very happy with it. To manage users I just use LDAP and every
application (Wiki, TRAC, Apache, XMPP...) is connecting to the directory
for users & authentication. So I would like to do the same for FreeSWITCH.

Googling a bit around I found some old postings on this mailinglist,
namely the one from Anthony where he explains a bit about mod_ldap:

http://lists.freeswitch.org/pipermail/freeswitch-users/2008-May/003382.html

Quoting that mail:

"Now also in mod_ldap, there is some code someone recently contributed
to tie our XML interface to LDAP,
This is more interesting because then when anything in FreeSWITCH tries
to lookup a user, dialplan entry or anything else in our XML config, all
the important details are passed to LDAP where it can make a query, pull
the info out of LDAP and deliver it back to FreeSWITCH as the XML it was
looking for.  This allows you to make all of the registrations, dialplan
etc real time driven by LDAP, you can also bind a perl or lua script to
this operation as well as mod_xml_curl who will turn the request into an
HTTP post to a web server to fetch the data."

That's basically what I need. My idea is to not create an XML file for
every user but to tell (in an XML file I guess) that the phone numbers,
username & password can be found in a directory.

I do have quite some experience in LDAP debugging and I can code a bit
as long as I don't have to mess with pointers ;) So where should I study
some code to figure out how that works exactly? I promise to document it
once I got it to work as I think more people want to have that feature
as well.

thanks

Adrian

- --