[Freeswitch-users] Best way to start with Freeswitch

kokoska rokoska kokoska.rokoska at post.cz
Mon Mar 31 05:07:41 PDT 2008

Arnaldo de Moraes Pereira napsal(a):
> On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 6:19 AM, kokoska rokoska
> <kokoska.rokoska at post.cz> wrote:
>>  Brian West napsal(a):
>>
>>> Wasn't this what the whole Zend optimizer was for?  So it would cache
>>  > and pre-compiled scripts?
>>  >
>>  Thanks Brian for your answer!
>>
>>  When I started with Asterisk in the past, I wrote all my AGI scripts in
>>  PHP. And than I saw big latency in call setup and lack of performance.
>>  Thus I try Zend optimizer, eAccelerator and APC too. You are right, all
>>  of them help much, but I still wasn't satisfied.
>>  After rewritting all of my code to ANSI C, everything change rapidly.
>>  The same HW could setup nearly twice as much calls per second than with
>>  PHP and bytecode cache...
>
> Even if you have to write C code for performance, it's easy to write
> an application module to handle all needed tasks. FreeSWITCH's
> architecture allows one to worry about accomplish the tasks when
> writing code, instead of worrying about workarounds to get your code
> to work the way you want, without breaking other things... and without
> hacks.

It sounds very good!

> Just wanted to say that, because I ended up in the same situation,
> having to write asterisk apps. I had a hard time writing them and was
> _very_ impressed when started writing FreeSWITCH's. All weird problems
> were just gone, the things just work and the API is consistent.

Thank you very much, Arnaldo, for that info!

I try to wrote some Asterisk apps (and also slightly change behaviour of
chan_sip) to siut my needs, but it was the pain. I'm not a real
programmer, better to say script writer from compulsion, and from my
point of view chan_sip, logger and cdr... change between versions so
dramatically that I resign to do it cleanly and ended up with mentioned
workaround - call routing I do thru AGI only without assistance of
Asterisk dialplan and call logging is done thru CDR manager...

> I've just started using mod_python and my guess is that it'll fit your
> needs.

I know nerly nothing about python (except some chnges to mediaproxy I
need to do by myself), but I'm open to all new things and learn quickly :-)
I will look at it, thank you!

> When you're done testing, please share the results, so we can
> try to understand where are the bottlenecks, if any, and improve it.

I do what I can, but I'm affraid I need to spend some time to understand
Freeswitch before I deploy exectly what I need.
But, after all work will be done, I try to share as much info as I can..

Thanks again, Arnaldo, for notable help!

Best regards,

kokoska.rokoska