[Freeswitch-users] Conceptual Question about Freeswitch and SIP

Brian West brian.west at mac.com
Sun Mar 16 20:24:25 PDT 2008

http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Misc._Dialplan_Tools_bridgecall

> The reason for my question is that the rtp traffic is going through my
> freeswitch ip address at all times. It seems that both ends are
> speaking
> g711u, so I don't believe that any transcoding is going on.

Well in some cases you can do p2p but since no transcoding is going on
the only limit is the amount of context switches your machine can take
on.  I know you can do way more than you think doing media thru
FreeSWITCH.

> I must be missing something because having all data flow through
> Freeswitch would not be scalable and I know that one of the big
> differences that Freeswitch offers is scalability.

Actually it can scale with media just not as far.

If you set the bypass_media=true variable before you bridge we'll get
out of the media path.  There are instances where you want to always
be in the media path.  This paired with late negotiation can give you
access to the SDP and even allow you to choose the mode on the fly.

/b