[Freeswitch-users] FreeSWITCH in latin america countries

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Sun Jun 8 23:14:07 PDT 2008

Arnaldo de Moraes Pereira wrote:
> Hello,
>
> For those of you from latin american countries, please join
> #freeswitch-la. I have plans to knock down the barriers to adopt
> FreeSWITCH in third-world countries, specially Brazil, so this channel
> is one of the steps to achieve that. Brazilian portuguese and spanish
> are also welcomed languages.
>
> One of the biggest barriers to use FreeSWITCH as a TDM/SIP gateway, is
> to have MFC/R2 support, which is being written by Steve Underwood in a
> generic manner. I'll be focusing on the endpoint for the existing
> unicall implementation, which we hopefully will merge when Steve has
> finished his unicall work. So, anyone will be able to use MFC/R2 with
> a Sangoma and probably other cards.
>
> Take care.

I started on a Unicall endpoint module for Freeswitch a few weeks ago,
but I've been busy with other stuff and I haven't had time to go back to
it. Unicall and spandsp are becoming LGPL, so there are no longer any
licence barriers to Freeswitch integration.

In the last week several people have expressed interest in getting such
an endpoint module working, and if they are eager to do that, it will
certainly leave me free to work on a long list of other things. The
Unicall APIs are changing a little, to increase flexibility. However, if
an endpoint is built for the existing Unicall code, only minor changes
should be needed for the version I am working on now.

Regards,
Steve