[Freeswitch-users] Error loading portaudio module

Giovanni Maruzzelli gmaruzz at celliax.org
Fri Dec 12 12:30:16 PST 2008

Sorry, the previous one was sent by mistake.

This one is complete:

Hi there,

you have to use the "default" ALSA audio device to share it, and to
have it automatically format and rate converted.

the "default" ALSA device is not the default portaudio device (not in
the portaudio version used currently by FS).

You have to find out what device id it has under portaudio.

But in this specific case, no device at all was found.

So, maybe portaudio was not commpiled with ALSA support (do you have
the ALSA development library installed?).

Also, after recompiling portaudio and mod_portaudio, you can launch FS
giving it the PA_ALSA_PLUGHW=1 environment variable, so portaudio will
use the plughw devices (that are automatically converted to the
desired rate/format) and not the raw devices.

Giovanni Maruzzelli
Company : Celliax
Website: www.celliax.org
Address : via Pierlombardo 9, 20135 Milano
Country/Territory : Italy
Business Email: gmaruzz at celliax dot org
Cell : 39-347-2665618
Fax : 39-02-87390039

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 9:25 PM, Giovanni Maruzzelli
<gmaruzz at celliax.org> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> you have to use the "default" ALSA audio device to share it, and to
> have it automatically format and rate converted.
>
> the "default" ALSA device is not the default portaudio device (not in
> the portaudio version used currently by FS).
>
> You have to find out what device id it has under portaudio.
>
> But in this specific case, no device at all was found.
>
> So, maybe portaudio was not commpiled with ALSA support (do you have the ALSA
>

> Sincerely,
>
> Giovanni Maruzzelli
> Company : Celliax
> Website: www.celliax.org
> Address : via Pierlombardo 9, 20135 Milano
> Country/Territory : Italy
> Business Email: gmaruzz at celliax dot org
> Cell : 39-347-2665618
> Fax : 39-02-87390039
>

> On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 8:58 PM, Michael Collins <msc at freeswitch.org> wrote:
>> Jason,
>>
>> If I understand correctly software other than PA can lock up the sound
>> card so that PA doesn't "see" it. That might explain why PA reports
>> number of devices = 0. Could you check to see if possibly something
>> else has control of your sound card, perhaps ALSA? Turn off anything
>> that might use the sound card and then restart FS to see if PA can
>> then detect your device.
>>
>> -MC
>>
>> On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 1:38 AM, Jason White <jason at jasonjgw.net> wrote:
>>> I am new to FreeSWITCH; hence this is the first of what will probably be a
>>> number of questions as I learn.
>>>
>>> I've compiled the latest code from svn trunk under Debian Sid (Linux kernel
>>> 2.6.27, x86_64 architecture), with the portaudio19-dev package installed.
>>>
>>> Whenever I try to load the portaudio module I get the following in the logs. I
>>> haven't changed anything in the default portaudio configuration that comes
>>> with FreeSWITCH.
>>>
>>> PortAudio version number = 1899
>>> PortAudio version text = 'PortAudio V19-devel (built Dec 12 2008)'
>>> Number of devices = 0
>>> 2008-12-12 20:17:51 [ERR] mod_portaudio.c:883 load_config() Cannot find an
>>> input
>>>  device!
>>> 2008-12-12 20:17:51 [ERR] mod_portaudio.c:893 load_config() Cannot find an
>>> input
>>>  device!
>>> 2008-12-12 20:17:51 [CRIT] switch_loadable_module.c:839
>>> switch_loadable_module_l