[Freeswitch-users] Problems with Mod_openMRCP

Anthony Minessale anthony.minessale at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 11:17:56 PST 2008

mod_openmrcp was a contribution to the community by a 3rd party individual.

As i have clearly stated in 2 previous emails, the man has decided to
discontinue the openmrcp project.
So now we are left with the remains of the module and discontinued code.
This was not our decision it was his.

Since the author of openmrcp has stated that he has a new unimrcp we are
certainly going to
work towards getting mod_unimrcp to replace mod_openmrcp.  He had already
commented on that previous thread to state he is willing to consider making
a new module.

Some people use it without issue which may mean that the crash you reported
is windows specific and I do not have a working lab of any mrcp capbable
system to try it against in unix for that matter.  I have a list of work to
do from here to the moon and back so on an issue like this, unless someone
can hand me login credentials to some box and give me a phone number to dial
to reporduce the issue, it will be a long time until we can deal with it.
And the question arises, should we bother working on it anymore if the lib
has been abandoned and we cannot even get any support from it's author which
is where the problem most likely lies.

I try not to get too annoyed by these remarks about what we *ought to do*
because I know people lose sight of how much of the work to support the
project is done by a small group of 3 people and not the 2000 people it
appears to be from the outside looking in. (I've been answering email for 4
hours now)

My suggestion is to pool some cash and pay the guy to make mod_unimrcp for
FS that we can maintain in tree knowing the development can be supported by
the original author.

On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 12:51 PM, David Knell <dave at 3c.co.uk> wrote:

>  Hi Mike,
>
> My experience is that it's somewhat broken - it took two trivial tweaks to
> get it to work with IBM's ASR and TTS, but there's a more intractable
> problem to do with memory getting overwritten (I assume that this is
> something to do with something being freed when it shouldn't be) which
> causes a segfault on the second or third session after the module being
> loaded.
>
> Without wishing to sound like a stuck record, one thing that you guys
> really ought to do is to decide what's supported and what isn't, and make
> this obvious - for example, move unsupported modules to a different place in
> the tree, don't have them built by default, etc.  MRCP is in the specsheet
> on the Wiki.  Otherwise folk like Mark and I spend time installing stuff, go
> round in circles a bit trying to make it work, and then find out (a) that it
> doesn't and (b) it's not going to be fixed because it's not supported.
>
> Cheers --
>
> Dave
>
> I would not say it is totally broken, it is known to work in quite a few
> places, but we are unlikely to be doing any new fixes in it.
>  Mike
>
>  On Dec 1, 2008, at 1:19 PM, mszlazak at aol.com wrote:
>
>  Hi Anthony,
>
> Oh! OK.
>
> So is this module "totally broken".
>
> I say this because I can't seem to get it to work at all with the example
> in that Mod_openmrcp wiki page but I thought it might because I'm not be
> using the right Cepstral software (freetrial download versus the paided for
> SDK) or that I'm not using the right port numbers or something else I didn't
> do. I used TcpView to look at local port associated with my Cepstral
> software and changed a few things but still nothing. I changed the loglevel
> setting to 7 in the wiki's example but I don't see the kind of output on the
> console that I would expect for debug mode.
>
> Thanks. Mark.

> David Knell, Director, 3C Limited
> T: 020 8114 8901  F: 020 3002 7257  M: 001 415 630 3031http://www.3c.co.uk

Anthony Minessale II