[Freeswitch-users] playing sound file without answering the call

David Knell dave at 3c.co.uk
Tue Aug 19 02:57:14 PDT 2008

Hi -

The answer to your initial question is "it depends."  The ringtone
that a caller hears is generated by a switch at the far end of a call
- that's why, when you call people in different countries, you will
usually hear the ringtone for that country.  If that switch is before
you in the chain - as it will be if, for example, you're receiving the
calls via an analogue line - then you cannot play audio to the caller
without answering the call.  If there isn't a switch before you in the
chain which believes that it's its job to generate ringtone, then you
can play audio to the caller before answering.

If you can do what you want calling FS directly from a softphone on
your desk - I use X-Lite - then you've done your bit.  If it doesn't
work when calling via the PSTN (but you hear ringing while the "your
balance is.." message is playing, then someone between FS and the
caller is generating that ringtone.

Cheers --

Dave