[Freeswitch-users] Broadvoice

Dave lists+freeswitch at bigfatdave.com
Mon Apr 16 12:15:54 PDT 2007

On Mon, Apr 16, 2007 at 01:02:52PM -0400, Jonathan Rogers wrote:
> On 4/16/07, Brian West <brian.west at mac.com> wrote:

> I emailed
> Broadvoice tech support and they didn't seem to know anything useful.

The problem with certain companies is that they try to do things in a
"cool" or interesting or useful or whatever way, but they never bother
to think about the support nightmare they're creating for their friends
over at minimum wage (or worse, overseas - out of sight, out of mind)
tech support.

> I do want to help, but at the moment, I have Asterisk working for both
> incoming and outgoing calls and I am depending on the Broadvoice
> account for incoming calls to my local number. Maybe I can get an
> account with another, easier to configure provider and transfer my
> number, at which point I can donate the Broadvoice account for
> testing. I don't have any experience with local number portability or
> whatever it's called, so I don't know how easy or quick it is to
> transfer.

The LNP (Local Number Portability) motto is: "Not going anywhere for
a while?  Grab a Snickers!"  I've been through about a dozen ports
already for various numbers, and while some have taken as little as two
or three hours, others have taken nearly half a year.  Also, I'm not
sure if BV will let you transfer out a number that they assigned you.
(You see, the FCC doesn't require telecom providers to transfer your
number, just to support the infrastructure for transferring your number
if the stars line up right, _and_ they feel like doing it for you.)

HTH,
 - Dave