[Freeswitch-dev] ESL and the directory

João Mesquita jmesquita at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 23:03:42 PDT 2009

I have been thinking about what would be the best direction to FSGui and I
am leaning towards something like Asterisk Flash Operator (
http://www.asternic.org) and HUD (http://pbxtra.fonality.com/products/hud/).

Since ESL has no comparison to Asterisk Manager whatsoever, it won't be too
hard to get the application controlling all the extensions and doing all the
cool CTI things such as record on demand, voicemail control and conference
stuff, etc...

Anyway, I was looking on how to achieve this goal and the first thing I
would need is the domain list as well its users and groups. The ideal here
would be having the directory section itself so I can parse it on my own and
even add a few more variables to it so FSGui can control permissions and
stuff like that. This would eliminate for good the need of a FSGui server to
control this kinda of thing (that's what HUD does).

I would like to open a discussion on how to achieve this since it will most
definitely require some hacking on mod_commands since xml_locate is not able
to provide it all as of now. So, here are the questions:

   1. Using ESL for that is the best approach? If not, what would be? (I
   foresee the need of SSL on libesl soon ...)
   2. Should I fetch root with xml_locate on ESL and parse whatever I am
   interested on FsGUI or should I add switch_xml_list_domains as well its API
   and whatever other methods are needed on xml retrieval?
      1. switch_xml_locate_domain needs the domain name and at this point, I
      don't have it yet.
   3. Do any of you see a problem with having additional vars on xml
   directory to control FsGUI permissions and options? If yes, what is the
   alternative solution?

Anyway, I throwing this at the table so I can get input before making a
decision. Hope this does not give you all too much trouble.

Later,

jmesquita