[Freeswitch-users] Performance questions

Jose Fco. Irles DurĂ¡ josefu at gmail.com
Sat Nov 16 12:37:30 UTC 2019

Hi,

I have several nodes with FreeSWICH, typically 2 socket Xeon v2 (with
8-12 cores every socket) and 64~128GB of RAM. I'm testing different
configurations for max performance.

I run FreeSWITCH containers (with docker and macvlan network), the
base system is Ubuntu 18.04 and I run 4 containers for machine (max
concurrency about 500-700 calls and max cps 200, limited in FreeSWITCH
config). But I have some questions about the base config of my
servers:

1. Is better cpu hyperthreading enabled or disabled?

2. Is relevant NUMA placement for FreeSWITCH (now I bind 2 FreeSWITCH
processes to one NUMA node of the machine)?

3. Is it recommended cpu pinning to avoid excessive context switching?
(my opinion is yes, but I don't know if the performance difference is
too high)

4. I run default Ubuntu kernel (generic ubuntu flavor, with kernel
CONFIG_HZ_250=y), but I can change to the "low latency" version, with
CONFIG_HZ=1000. Witch is better?
I have tested the two versions with timer_test command in FreeSWITCH
and I haven't seen any differences (with no load):
Avg: 20.000ms Total Time: 1000.002ms

Any other advise about network tunning?

PD: the containers are Debian Buster with FreeSWITCH 1.10.1

Best regards

--
Jose