[Freeswitch-users] Music on hold still plays after answering a call by ESL Inbound from external Node script

Euan Millar euan at ensemblepourladifference.org
Mon May 27 08:43:30 UTC 2019

Hello kind Freeswitch mailing group!

I am using ESL to control my calls entirely from a Node application.

I am using the 'modesl <https://github.com/englercj/node-esl>' package to
create an ESL connection and listen to the FS events
<https://freeswitch.org/confluence/display/FREESWITCH/Event+List> and then
answer a call if the number matches a dialplan I want to control using the
mod_command "uuid_answer."

However, when my script answers a call, the music on hold plays in the
background, even if I control the channel and am able to play other IVR
audio in the call. As soon as my desired IVR commands complete, the music
on hold returns in between, and it is quite annoying to hear small snippets
of music.  Eventually the call hangs up.

I am thinking that maybe the call has not actually been answered properly
and that FS thinks that it is in fact on hold, and eventually hangs up on
it, even though my script appears to have "answered" the call.

Can anyone shed any light on this?  I think that I am doing
something wrong.  I had tried to get an Outbound
<https://freeswitch.org/confluence/display/FREESWITCH/Event+Socket+Outbound>
connection to my Node script but it was receiving no events so didn't know
when to answer.  The only way I could detect and answer the call was by
using the Inbound approach to listen to events.

I would be very grateful if anyone could give me some advice on this if you
recognise my issue.

Kind regards,

Euan