[Freeswitch-users] My 2 cents - online community

fs fs at szmidt.org
Thu Feb 22 19:31:46 UTC 2018

On 02/22/2018 11:33, Fred Pettersson wrote:
> Look I don't wanna start a fire here and have full respect for the team
> behind FreeSWITCH.
>
> It's 2018 right? I am talking about Evolution. Why doesn't the
> FreeSWITCH community have a more up to date online community board? I am
> talking about the mailing lists, why not use a tool to help the
> community a bit more and make it grow?
As a user who's not delved very deep into it myself, and someone who
truly appreciates the fact that FS is properly designed and developed,
which is why _I_ use it rather than *, but as such I never end up
spending much time consecutive time on it, and in this long running
sentence, will always appreciate things that makes it easy for a novice
to get started.

Open source software, often driven by individual interests, certainly
can have issues with getting people past the initial install. FS for
example, have some excellent videos to help you get started! Then if you
want to know more they would not mind, I'm sure, if you paid them for
support so they can have some income.

I've walked down the path of offering Open Source s/w and charged for
support etc. It can be profitable, but it can also be a pain in the butt
with not enough cash flow to become really viable.

Often times someone will suggest some improvement, as you have, and the
reply can easily be "Great, do it!". I'm not suggesting that I'm talking
for this group in the least, but I have seen it first hand and know how
it can be.

---
fs