[Freeswitch-users] OPUS Codec

Kristian Kielhofner kris at kriskinc.com
Sat May 6 22:26:12 MSD 2017

FreeSWITCH can limit Opus to a configured sample rate but the OPUS
specification says that the SDP must always specify 48 kHz and 2
channels.

OPUS is a combination of SILK and CELT, with the original PLC+FEC
coming from SILK. There are effectively three modes in OPUS - SILK,
CELT, and hybrid. It's not clear to me how well PLC+FEC works in the
hybrid and CELT modes used at higher sample rates. I haven't looked at
it specifically (or tested it) but my suspicion is that PLC+FEC works
much better the closer you get to "pure" SILK mode, which is
essentially what limiting the sample rate to 8 kHz does.

Kristian Kielhofner