[Freeswitch-users] Javascript FileIO

Anthony Minessale anthony.minessale at gmail.com
Sun Jun 25 19:17:00 UTC 2017

On Sun, Jun 25, 2017 at 1:29 PM Raymond <xxxman2008 at 126.com> wrote:

> OK, firstly ,where's the new documentation of new V8 js module ?

Use the source luke.  Maybe you can join the volunteer docs team and help
them.  The module itself was donated by a community member.

> Secondly, I think,  loop read small piece of  file will cause  too much
> I/O request . SO , i usually do read in following way.
> open the file ----> get file size --> read the whole file ( OS will charge
> the "one time " read size).

That is completely relevant to the size of the file and the size of the
chunk.  There is no one answer.

> and in real-life , real-project , there's not so many big files.  So, just
>  open the file ,and  read all.    in 99.99% situation , it's safe.

Um, ok..... That does not sound very wise but sure.  I'd say At least test
the size of the file first.

> in some situation , you cann't open the "incomplete file"  , you even
> cann't "see" them. There's too much detail when we talk about file read
> ,we can discuss file-system in rest of our life.
>  For Faruq , i think  just read whole file is  ok .  if you warry about "incomplete
> file" ,just wait 1 second ,and  read the file size again. it's  may casuse
> delay ,but useful if you have lots of files to read .
>
> In my opinion, when linux  do file read ,it read 1 block one time . A
> block is a sequence of bit or Bytes with a fixed length ie 512 bytes, 4kB,
> 8kB, 16kB, 32kB etc.  So , please not use strange number as your read size.
> it's not a good idea.  And  ......I really hate "while (.....)"  code ,it's
> really really bad.

Shaming coding constructs, in my opinion, is the path to mistakes.  Every
code element exists for a reason and there is always a case for any of
them.  I hate coding construct x is not helpful.