[Freeswitch-users] CDR - best practices

Steven Ayre steveayre at gmail.com
Tue Jul 18 08:25:23 UTC 2017

Custom code is probably not the correct way to generate logs that you're
using as CDRs. It won't run in the CS_REPORTING state which is the best
place to generate CDRs.

As for writing direct to the database there are modules for that (eg
mod_odbc_cdr) but you can't rely on that alone, especially as you scale
up. The database might be unavailable, have reached the maximum number of
connections, or have locked tables. You need to be able to support spooling
CDRs that aren't written to the DB and retrying later. See csv-path-on-fail
for mod_odbc_cdr.

Personally I prefer mod_xml_cdr as it can post the CDRs to a web farm for
processing, and we can change their processing in that application if we
want extra information in future. That spools via err-log-dir.

I'd also suggest something like mod_xml_cdr or at least something like
mod_cdr_csv so that you can archive CDRs outside of the database. That way
if your database fails or gets corrupted you have a backup copy, or
something to reconcile against.