[Freeswitch-users] Freeswitch-1.6.5 (video Conference)

Ken Rice krice at freeswitch.org
Mon Apr 25 18:24:36 MSD 2016

Sounds like you just aren’t giving the box enough CPU… FreeSWITCH with Video Conferencing requires a fair bit of CPU. Consider that you are decoding a video stream for each participant to raw video, then potentially scaling and compositing those videos together into 1 video, from there you then have to re-encode the video into the appropriate video codec for the participants and stream it out to them.

Doing Audio only conferencing (even with G729 which still requires a transcode for raw slin audio for mixing) is much less CPU intensive.

We routinely do 30 to 50 people video conferences with FreeSWITCH. To accomplish this, we use a 24 thread (dual hexacore Xeon with Hyperthreading enabled) with 48G of Ram. (no we don’t need that much ram it’s just what the box came with and has come in handy during testing)

That being said, your individual mileage will vary. The biggest mistake I’ve seen people make is grossly underestimate the CPU resources required to handle the video in real time. (consider how much time it takes even on something as powerful as a i7-4770K when re-encoding your own videos using something like Premiere or other video editing software)